It may seem that my stories of Z revolve around the difficulties and frustrations. I write about the things that left me scratching my head since those most easily show the culture hiccups and clashes I experienced. I mean them not, per se, as a comment on all of Zambian society. They are merely a recounted story of how I got through my days and what bizarre things I met along the way.
However, now that I'm back in Americaland and seeing it as a foreigner, I'm feeling nostalgic for what I can't find here. So, here are some of my favorite things, minus the people. (By the way, you should know I miss you). Without further qualification:
Harvey Tile advertisements. For example, "A roof without Harvey Tiles is like a baby without nappies. It might be leaking." "A roof without Harvey Tiles is like a hospital without doctors. There might be deaths."
Houses painted with actual colors, instead of shades of grey, brown, and black.
Walking as a common means of transportation.
The excitement of a good hitch.
Laughter, as long as it's with and not at.
Nshima. Yes, I actually enjoyed it. Well, as long as meat wasn't involved. Along with this, I must add softies in glass bottles, avocados, and mangos.
Students who sacrifice and save for their education.
Zampop and singing in general.
The interesting man who worked at the ice-cream shop in Kamwala market.
Kamwala market.
Chitenges.
The post-rain smell, if not the post-rain mud.
Landscapes and skies that defy description.
Laughing with the elderly women I passed on the way to work as I tried to spin the "I love you"s coming from random guys as being pointed at them.
Eavesdropping on Chinese construction workers, to the degree that I was able.
Cairo Road. Love it or hate it, it's a defining feature of life in Lusaka. If you haven't walked down Cairo road lately, you haven't really been living.
Ghandi's.
Laundry on the line.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment