Back to storytelling...
I had been in the country for something close to 6 months. I was getting stir-crazy. People all around me, Zambians and expats alike, were telling stories of adventures across international borders. I hadn't been this country-locked in quite a while, thanks to former employment that provided a month-long winter holiday (in exchange for giving up Christmas, we got New Years) and an ample selection of nearby vacation spots on the cheap. So, what's a girl to do? Normally, I'd talk to coworker-friends and try to arrange something, but that wasn't possible in the current situation.
So, I decided to venture out alone. Zimbabwe being the nearest country, it was chosen as the weekend destination. I had a long weekend coming up (some holiday or protest or election or something; it slips my memory now), and I was determined not to waste it doing laundry and visiting Pick-N-Pay. I sorted through guide-book suggestions of lodging and decided to book the cheapest available (stupidity part 2. Part 1? See "Hong Kong Travel"). There wasn't much to choose from, and the cheapest available wasn't so cheap. But, since I'd be taking a bus, it would all even out. As a world-wise international traveler, I wasn't stupid enough to attempt to book a bus ticket a week in advance or to try to get one the same day. I made my way to the Intercity Bus Terminus the day before I hoped to travel in order to buy a ticket. I kept my shoulders back and my eyes averted. Still, a number of people insisted on helping the Muzungu. I sincerely wonder if there's a "white girl" alarm that someone at that bus station sounds on sight. I decided to stop fighting the system and see if it could work. I let one nice-enough guy lead me to the Harare bus area. We approached the counter. Could I buy a ticket for tomorrow? No, go see the men at the buses. Excuse me, could I please buy a ticket for the bus to Harare tomorrow? No, you just need to come a couple of hours before the bus leaves. Are you sure? Sure. (Back to the window) Is there any way I can buy a seat today for a bus to Harare tomorrow? No, come back tomorrow. Somewhat dejected, I shook my new friend's hand, secretly passed him 10 pin, and went on my way.
The following day after work, I headed back to Intercity. My bag was packed, my hostel was booked, and I was completely ready for a long, hot ride and whatever adventures lay along the way. This time I didn't accept the offers for help and found the correct bus all on my own. As I asked for a seat, I was informed they were all sold out. "Why didn't you buy a ticket yesterday?" the thoughtful gentleman kindly asked.
Tuesday, March 13, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment