Sunday, December 5, 2010

Take Two

Apparently, it has been determined by the Fates that I shall not spend more than 3 years in any one place.  I'm hoping for at least two in the next country.  In late January or early February, I'll be moving to Zambia for a ten-month teaching project with a local public university there.  The job is grant-funded by the U.S. government, and the future possibilities are giving me a reason to be hopeful after the bleak outlook of job searching in the States.  

At the moment, there are visas to be obtained, phones to be called, contacts to be solidified, courses to be planned, and many other logistics to be handled before I can board the plane.  Two months does not seem like enough time.  

In my life, I have had exactly two dreams.  The first, becoming fluent in another language, has not yet happened.  The second will come true very, very soon.  As with anything that takes the title of BIG EVENT in life, my feet are feeling a bit cold.  I'm not worried, though.  I have no intention of turning around and running away.

So far, I have very few impressions of my next country of residence.  If I stare at the map long enough, it looks a bit like a peanut, or a seahorse maybe.  I can hardly wait to continue on in the "unknown-first impressions-vague familiarity-an almost home" cycle.

2 comments:

Jennica - Ayelet said...

Well, Zambians are friendly!
They will yell "muzungu (white person)!" at you whenever they see you.
They like to be known as "The *Real* Africa.
You should go to Victoria Falls.

I hope you have a good time there! :)

j.renee said...

Oh Jennica,

How I've come to loathe that word - "Muzungu"! There will probably be a whole series of entries dedicated to that topic.