I've always felt a certain amount of self-satisfaction from keeping a low profile. I generally like to think that if I don't know who someone is, they definitely don't know me (I do admit, this is a bit of the ostrich approach). Nonetheless, in some kind of alter-reality world, I think I'd make a great spy. I'm observant and usually go unnoticed.
What does this have to do with teaching? China? Only this fact: the entire world has been turned inside out. There is no more incognito. There is no more anonymity. I can't be the silent observer. Before I came, I expected to encounter this. I don't exactly blend in with the locals, and I don't think dying my hair would really help. Most of the time, attaining some sort of celebrity status isn't so bad. People are generally friendly and well-meaning, though the cameras and constant "hello"s do get annoying.
The interesting thing is how differently I am percieved here as opposed to in the U.S. I walk into nice department stores or restaurants here, and no one questions whether or not I can afford to be in that place. People are constantly trying to win me over as a customer - vendors hawking food, phone cards, rides on pedicabs - and possibly all at a jacked-up rate. People marvel at the paleness of my skin. ("I can't help it, honestly. Believe me, I've tried," is my usual response.)
And so, this foreigness buys me much more than it should. On occasion, I walk around town with other teachers all day, then go into a restaurant with my hair curly from sweat, looking quite dishevelled. In another place across an ocean, my appearance would definitely draw stares and whispers. I'd feel quite uncomfortable. Yet here as a foreigner, it's no problem. Even without the sweatiness, there are many places in the U.S. that I don't feel comfortable walking into. I grew up in hand-me-downs and shopped primarily at goodwill in high school. Life has changed since then, but I sometimes still need a pep-talk before walking into a place that could collocate with the words "nice," "pampered," "top tier," "four star," or the like.
When I focus out a bit, all this just reminds me how spoiled I really am. I look around and see the farmers and the sellers and the middlepeople who work sun-up to sun-down. They work so hard and have so much less to show for it. I sometimes get caught up in thinking that my life is hard, that I have to scrounge and be frugal just to get by. And it's true, my income was very close to my rent more often than not. It's only here that I can even afford to live alone. Yet our ideas of "scraping by" are vastly different from the reality of that experience in so much of the world.
With all these swirling thoughts, I can only hope that I'll be a good foreigner. That I'll smile and be friendly even when my patience is wearing thin.
6 comments:
Great post, Jenica!
Hope you're doing well!
I can definitely relate to your thoughts in this post. I've felt that quite a bit myself, both in China and in Africa. The celebrity status feels incredibly odd, and embarassing in a way. I've done nothing to deserve it...and the reality is that in many of those places, it was people with my skin color who colonized and enslaved. So it's beyond my understanding that people would flock to take pictures, offer the best wares, want to know me! It's humbling in a way, and I love what you said about hoping that you'll be the "good foreigner" who is gracious (even when you just want to hide).
Lovely language--a chapter for your eventual book of travels.
I can relate...in S.A. I'm considered tall and blond...Which I protest to no avail, and of course it's assumed that I'm rich...and though here that would be a joke, the very fact that I am in another country disenables me to protest. Somehow, I was able to get there, and they cannot often even travel to other places in their own country...we are indeed very blessed.
You *would* make a good spy, actually. As I'm typing this, I see that the captcha (word verification thingy) is "strud". Maybe that's what the past participle is: "I have strud."
Ha ha, strud, indeed. I still like stridden though...how's the franglais coming along? Are you spitting out the weirdness of Montreal french?
Post a Comment